Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Weapon( Retractable Knife)- Process





I began by making clay replicas of both knife blades, my intention being to make silicon molds out of both, and then cast resin blades. While I was able to make a resin version of the flip blade, the switchblade clay blank was broken beyond repair, and in the time crunch I was under, I switched to using a wood blank, which I had previously avoided because of potential swelling when the wood became wet. While the flip open blade was proving successful, the resin was drying too slowly to meet the deadline, so I switched my focus to the wooden switchblade. Later, after construction and during rehearsal, it was decided that the blade also had to puncture the blood pack, so I inserted the very tip of a needle at the top of the blade, just enough to puncture through fabric and plastic, but not skin. In order to stop wood swelling, I sealed the blade and it’s insides with a spray wood sealant.

No comments:

Post a Comment