Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Polar Bear- Research































For “Then There Were None,” we required a polar bear skin rug. As your average polar bear skin rug is very hard to find and extremely expensive, it was decided that I should make one. I began my research by closely examining a bearskin rug made from a juvenile brown bear. As the space on stage was too small for a full-grown polar bear (10 feet by 11 feet), my polar bear would be closer in size to a full grown brown bear (7 feet by 8 feet). I conducted online research looking at polar bear rugs, polar bear skulls, artificial polar bear skin rugs, and taxidermy. I also briefly looked into purchasing a rug shell blank of a bear’s head, although this would have been impractical because I couldn’t find one that fit the size and shape of the polar bear they wanted. I also went to Cabela’s, which had in one of it’s displays a stuffed female polar bear (which was about the size of the polar bear rug I would be building) and took photos for reference.



















No comments:

Post a Comment