Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Umbrella handle








our project was to make a custom cane handle. I decide i wanted to do the mary poppins umbrella handle that looks like a parrot instead and with the approval of the teacher proceeded with my project. i used clay to fashion what looked like the pictures i had found and then poured silicone around it in a hot glue and cardboard made enclosure. this leaked some but eventually dried and made for a sufficient mold. when it had all dried i cut it open with a jagged edge so it would fit back together properly and pulled out all the clay parts. one that was done and i had found an appropriate umbrella for mounting my handle i proceeded. the umbrella handle had been broken which provided me the perfect opportunity to make my own. i used a chunk of like 2" dowel which i drilled a tap hole in to slip it back onto the umbrella and then i cut small grooves at varying angles on the other end to ensure that when the plastic dried around it it would not be at risk of falling off the umbrella. then i taped my silicone mold together tight and sprayed release agent inside and poured the equal parts of plastic stuff together to make my parrot handle. i poured mostof it in and jiggled it around to loosen up an air pockets. then i dipped my wooden dowel handle into the plastic rigging it up to hold upright at a straight angle while it dried. then i topped off the mold and let the plastic stuff dry. after it was dry i cracked open my mold and pulled out my parrot handle. it was pretty cool. i sanded it all down to clean up the details and then i preoceedeed to paint it in great detail to look liket eh pictures i had pulled offline from the movie. Tada!! it's pretty B.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment