Thursday, December 15, 2011

Book Box- Process





For our box assignment, I was assigned to build a straw book jewelry box. I was given a sheet with dimensions and an image of the box I would make. I began work by constructing a wooden box using plywood with the dimensions of the assignment. Next, I searched for a material to use for the straw decoration. I initially wanted to use split straw, as I find the best way to mimic a material is to use the material, but I was unable to obtain any. I experimented using synthetic raffia ribbon and found that it worked well for the pages of the book but that it was too hard to use on the detailed panels on the top of the box. In the end, I decided to use strips of card stock, cut into strips and pieces to make the pattern on the top of the box. I found it necessary to modify the pattern from it's original design, as the dimensions I was given didn't appear to match the dimensions in the photo. I tried to stay true to the original design. First I gave the box an undercoat of dark brown paint to match the color of the photo of the box. I then glued the cardstock pieces to top and side of the box and began the painstaking process of painting it. Finally, I added dark brown lines between each of the pieces of cardstock so the pattern would be more visible to the audience.


No comments:

Post a Comment